You’ve seen the before, you’ve seen the demolition, now you can enjoy the trials and tribulations of trying to build a bathroom when the walls, floors and ceiling are not level, plumb or square. DJ spent a great deal of time working to make things right in order to make the installation easier and to make the room look great.
He took a week off work in February while Wendell was away visiting his dad, and we accomplished a great deal of work during this time. Even so, doing the work on weekends and some evenings after work, we didn’t complete the work until the last weekend of April. Not that we were in any great hurry, we wanted to do the job correctly. And, we would have been done in early April, but we had one really horrible “Oh Shit” moment with the tile, which you will see in the pictures.
With everything stripped out of the bathroom, the first thing we worked on updating was the electrical and plumbing. I don’t have pictures of the plumbing, but you can take my word that new shut off valves were put on the sink and tub. The tub drain had to be rerouted to fit the new tub. Wiring needed to be moved to accommodate a ceiling exhaust fan and light, and added GFCI outlets. Then the fun began!
After I set the tile and grouted it, we prepared to put up the trim. However, when we taped the trim in place, our big “Oh Shit!” moment occurred when the tape peeled the design off the tile. We had no idea how to fix the problem short of ripping all the tile out. In a controlled panic, I sent pictures to the manufacturer, asking what we needed to do. He said we had to replace the entire strip, but he would be sending them to us at no cost because he found out there was a defect in our product as well as another job processed at the same time as ours. It was no easy chore removing tile, fortunately, we only had 13 to remove.
It took over a week to get the replacement tile, and then a couple of days to set it, grout it, and seal it. Once that was complete, we finished putting up the trim, and did NOT use tape. Then came the caulking, and other finish work. I bet you’re dying to see the finished product!