And so begins the demolition. There was much to rip out, and each part ended up taking longer than originally expected.
The cabinets and fixtures are coming out. If you look out the bathroom window, you can see snow!
False wall, dead, wasted space behind the tub. This was a standard 60 inch tub and we upgraded to a 66 inch tub to take advantage of the space.
With the cabinets removed, you can see the stains on the floor and shadows and dirt on the beautiful, green walls.
Inside the wall where the medicine cabinet was removed, you can see the old logs; this is an outside wall.
A close up of inside the wall with multiple layers of wallpaper. Gotta love floral prints…or not. I can only guess that before the bathroom was added to the house that this wallpaper adorned one of the two rooms upstairs.
The ceiling tiles are attached to furring strips, and some type of fiber board is above that.
The tub is removed, you can see all the glue that was used to hold up that awful, green panel stuff. Also, you can see the wood framing that was built and nailed, screwed and glued to the rough cut logs, and that framed in the bathroom itself.
The drain and plumbing for the tub. We put black plastic under the drain because the living room ceiling is directly below. Below the sub-floor of the bathroom, are the original wood joists of the log house.
Most of the glue on the wood frame has been scraped off because we will be attaching the drywall to the plywood.
Ripping through the fiber board in the ceiling. Lots of layers.
Looking directly overhead at the ceiling, cardboard is used as insulation. Who knew?
One of the pieces of cardboard used to insulate the ceiling.
DJ in action, ripping down layers and layers of ceiling material.
And included in the debris; dirt, soot, and yes, a squirrel skeleton. We left the linoleum floor down, made for easier sweeping at the end of the day.
Squirrel jaw and assorted bones.
The squirrel tail that became separated from its body when it fell on DJ.
Above the toilet, you can see the water damage, either from a leak, or more likely from putting out the fire. You can see some of the charred beams. Also, the ceiling joists are not evenly spaced, or level, or plumb with one another…this means the ceiling wasn’t level.
The wall beside the toilet has been removed making the opening for the door larger.
View from the stairwell after the wall beside the toilet is removed. It opened up the bathroom and made it seem so much larger.
Inside the bathroom, looking down the stairwell through the newly opened doorway. This was done to accommodate the pocket door. Hello, space saving idea!
The ceiling above the new doorway. It’s hard to tell how un-level everything is, but if you look at the closet door in the middle, you can see the difference from the left and right side of the door. This is not something we will be fixing any time soon.
So that was the demo. I don’t know exactly how long it took because we didn’t keep track of days or hours. We worked most weekends, and some evenings after work, through the middle of February. Wendell never seemed to mind the hammering while he slept. His bedroom is behind the bath tub wall. The next installment will be the reconstruction.